Extradition hearing today for mother of Hollywood arson suspect

May 17, 2012

Daily News Los Angeles on May 17, 2012 released the following:

“By Fred Shuster City News Service

LOS ANGELES – The mother of a man suspected of setting dozens of fires in Hollywood, West Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley over New Year’s weekend will face an extradition hearing today. | POLICE NEWS

Dorothee Burkhart, 53, is fighting extradition to her native Germany, where she is wanted on a host of fraud charges.

Attorneys for both sides are expected to argue before U.S. Magistrate Judge Charles F. Eick, who rejected a request to free Burkhart on bail pending today’s proceedings.

The woman has described herself as the sole link between her “mentally ill” son, Harry, and “the outside world.” Her 24-year-old son faces trial on dozens of arson-related charges stemming from the series of fires that terrorized Los Angeles over four nights at the start of the year.

“I was the person who was the bridge between the outside world and the inside of his brain,” Burkhart said at a previous hearing.

Her arrest pending extradition is thought to have sparked the arson rampage allegedly committed by her distraught son, her only child.

An attorney for Harry Burkhart asked Eick in court papers last week to temporarily suspend the extradition proceedings on the grounds that the mother is a key witness in her son’s case.

Dorothee Burkhart is accused in Frankfurt of subletting apartments that she did not own, failing to pay rent and security deposits on other locations, and defrauding a cosmetic surgeon out of about $10,000 for breast augmentation surgery for which she never paid, according to court papers.

The extradition process can take upward of a year, federal prosecutors said. It took about four months to extradite former TV producer Bruce Beresford- Redman to Mexico to face charges for the killing of his wife — an unusually short amount of time because Beresford-Redman decided not to appeal the judge’s extradition order.

Harry Burkhart faces 100 felony charges related to 49 blazes set between Dec. 30 and Jan. 2. Most of the fires began in automobiles but usually spread to homes in Hollywood, West Hollywood, Sherman Oaks and surrounding areas.

His bail has been set at $7.5 million. A trial date has not been set.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States and Germany here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition Defense, OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal, International Criminal Court Defense, and US Seizure of Non-Resident, Foreign-Owned Assets. Because we have experience dealing with INTERPOL, our firm understands the inter-relationship that INTERPOL’s “Red Notice” brings to this equation.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

————————————————————–

International criminal defense questions, but want to be anonymous?

Free Skype Tel: +1.202.470.3427, OR

Free Skype call: mcnabb.mcnabbassociates

           Office Locations

Email:


Wrong Paperwork Used to Seize MegaUpload Property, Judge Says

March 21, 2012

PC World on March 18, 2012 released the following:

“By Jeremy Kirk, IDG-News-Service:Sydney-Bureau

An order granted to law enforcement allowing them to seize luxury cars and other personal effects from the estate of MegaUpload founder Kim Dotcom is invalid, a judge in New Zealand ruled on Friday.

A police commissioner applied for the wrong type of seizure order, requested by the U.S., which now is “null and void and has no legal effect,” Judge Judith Potter ruled.

The ruling means Dotcom has a chance to recover some of the items, which reportedly included a Rolls Royce and a pink Cadillac, seized during his January 20 arrest at his mansion outside Auckland. It was unclear on Monday the next step Dotcom would have to take to get his property returned, and his attorneys could not immediately be reached.

Dotcom, 38, faces extradition to the U.S. on various copyright infringement and money laundering charges relating to his website MegaUpload, a file-sharing and storage website, which was shutdown in January.

New Zealand police applied for a second order to seize more of Dotcom’s property and, after realizing the mistake, tried to include the property improperly seized under the first order, Potter wrote.

Dotcom’s attorneys argued that some or all of their client’s property should be released. But representatives acting for the U.S. said the subsequent seizure order, dated February 1, is sufficient for holding Dotcom’s property.

Extradition proceedings for Dotcom, who is free on bail but subject to electronic monitoring, are expected to begin in August.

The U.S. Department of Justice alleges MegaUpload collected US$175 million in criminal proceeds, rewarding users for uploading and sharing content without the permission of copyright holders.

Also charged are MegaUpload defendants Finn Batato, Julius Bencko, Sven Echternach, Mathias Ortmann, Andrus Nomm and Bram Van Der Kolk.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States and New Zealand here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


Suffolk £1m heist suspect Eddie Maher denies US charges

March 20, 2012

BBC on March 20, 2012 released the following:

A former security guard wanted over a £1m theft in Suffolk has denied immigration and firearms offences in the United States.

Eddie Maher, 56, originally from Essex, was arrested in Ozark, Missouri, after police received a tip-off in February.

Mr Maher is suspected of involvement in the 1993 theft of a security van packed with cash outside a bank in Felixstowe.

He pleaded not guilty at the court hearing, in Springfield, Missouri.

Declared bankrupt

He is accused of being an illegal alien, possessing four firearms and possessing false identity documents.

Mr Maher, who previously lived in South Woodham Ferrers, Essex, was remanded in custody and will return to the United States District Court on a date yet to be fixed.

Police in America said Mr Maher had been arrested after officers were told he was a “fugitive wanted in England”.

Suffolk police are looking to start extradition proceedings to bring Mr Maher back to the UK.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States (US) and the United Kingdom (UK) here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


WikiLeaks Founder Faces Possible Extradition

December 2, 2010

British police asked Swedish authorities Thursday for additional details not specified in an initial arrest warrant for Julian Assange, a possible indication that the location of the elusive founder of WikiLeaks is known.

The fact that British police are seeking more information probably means there is a procedural problem preventing them from arresting Assange. The additional details could provide them with a valid warrant.

It is likely that British police either know where he is or they have been watching him. However, there are definitely legal restraints holding them back from an arrest.

Assange is wanted in Sweden for sex-crime allegations that are not related to WikiLeaks. Meanwhile, the website continued publishing confidential diplomatic information that has been stirring up all corners of the world.

Assange, who has said he has long feared retribution for his website’s disclosures, has denied the sex-crime allegations, calling them a smear campaign.

Despite the warrant and an Interpol red notice, akin to an all-points bulletin, Assange has so far eluded arrest, making him one of the world’s most wanted fugitives.

Assange has not been seen in public since the Stockholm Criminal Court issued an international arrest warrant on November 18, 2010. Officials say Assange is suspected of rape, sexual molestation and illegal use of force.

There are conflicting reports on whether Assange is currently in Britain or elsewhere. Swedish authorities claim they are unaware of his whereabouts, which prompted the request to Interpol.

The Swedish Prosecution Authority said it would send additional information to British police that would lay out the allegations of sexual molestation and illegal use of force — in addition to the accusation of rape that was already in the warrant — and the potential penalties attached to each alleged crime.

Assange, meanwhile lost a legal bid in the Swedish Supreme Court, which refused Thursday to hear an appeal of an arrest warrant for suspicion of rape and sexual molestation. Previously, the Swedish Court of Appeal had rejected Assange’s appeal.

At Sweden’s request, Interpol has issued an international wanted-persons alert for Assange to its 188 member countries. The red notice is not an arrest warrant, but an advisory and request for countries to locate a person with a view toward that person’s arrest and extradition. He would most certainly face extradition to Sweden if he is arrested, but he would have the right to appeal it.

A U.S. warrant for Assange over the WikiLeaks postings could further complicate this case. Specifically, the United States could pursue a case against Assange to silence the WikiLeaks site. Further, it is definitely possible for Assange to drag this out for years, and who’s to say that if Assange is arrested, publications on WikiLeaks will cease?

The most important question remains: Where is Assange?

For a complete reading of the CNN article, please click here.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the firm practice and write extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, Interpol Litigation, International Extradition and OFAC Litigation.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

Bookmark and Share


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 8,926 other followers