Guy Savage: Alleged Global Arms Smuggler, Fights Extradition to US

October 27, 2011

To his neighbors, Guy Savage was just another well-to-do resident of suburbia. Now he’s fighting extradition to the US as an alleged global arms smuggler

Gubblast.com

Guy Savage has operated in the US and UK for a number of years and had government contracts.

The flash of stun grenades and the crack of tires being blown out are not usually associated with the tree-lined streets of Pinner, North-West London. But this is what the residents of Daymer Gardens experienced earlier this year, when their neighbor, an apparently inoffensive businessman living in an £800,000 home, was unveiled as an international arms dealer wanted by US police on smuggling charges.

Guy Savage, a married father-of-two and a former pupil at the exclusive £5,000-a-term Highgate School attended by Michael Mansfield, QC, and the former Home Secretary Charles Clarke, is now facing extradition to the US over allegations that some of his work selling weapons there broke the law.

One neighbor – a 44-year-old hairdresser who has lived on Savage’s road for 10 years – said the images of his arrest and his subsequent extradition hearing couldn’t be further from the everyday activities of the quiet, family-orientated community.

“We are all shocked. It’s not the sort of thing to happen in your road – it’s very, very quiet here,” she said.

“On the day, my two children were in bed asleep and I was out walking the dog. I returned to find absolute pandemonium. Police cars, vans and undercover cops everywhere.

“He seemed like a nice enough neighbor – he didn’t seem like an arms dealer,” she added.

But then not many people would have been able to spot his profession. He appeared just another middle-class professional going to work among the bankers and lawyers who live in the area.

Savage, 42, is the owner of Sabre Defence Industries, which has divisions in the US and the UK. He was also previously chairman of the Firearms Dealers Committee, which acts as a voice for his industry and advises Scotland Yard on gun licensing laws.

Despite his position, Savage was seized after the US authorities contacted the Met, alleging that he had been illegally exporting weapons between America and Britain.

Detectives went on to raid the weapons factory he ran a short distance away in Northolt, where they found an arsenal of automatic rifles, handguns and ammunition rounds.

Savage now faces being extradited to the US to stand trial for allegedly exporting weapons in crates with false bottoms and forging shipping records.

At a hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday, Savage claimed he would be denied a fair trial if extradited and sentenced to life in an “inhumane” US jail.

“They [the US authorities] want to use me as a means to extort money from a sovereign individual and potentially imprison me for the rest of my life,” he said.

“The US justice system is open to everyone in the same way the Ritz is open to everyone for tea.”

He added: “The Met have subjected me to inhumane and degrading treatment and punishment for a crime that is yet to be proven.”

Sabre Defence Industries had been trading in America for some time with a £125m contract to supply the Government with automatic rifles. But the Met says Savage came under suspicion after the US authorities began investigating his employees for selling weapons to gang members in 2009.

In a raid on the company’s premises in Nashville, Tennessee, police found documents which suggested guns had also been smuggled from the UK to the US.

The Met’s Detective Sergeant Nathan Coutts, who led the investigation from London, said: “The case came to us in May 2010. The US claims there were irregularities of firearms and their components being shipped from the UK to the US and the other way round.

“The firearms were all subject to licenses but they were being shipped illegally. The fact you’ve got a license doesn’t give you carte blanche to do what you like.”

Savage has been indicted by a US federal grand jury on charges relating to international firearms and trafficking violations. If found guilty on the more serious charges he faces 20 years in prison and a $1m fine.

Savage caused outrage in 1996 when he blamed families of the Dunblane massacre victims for ruining his livelihood.
He was banned from possessing and trading in guns in 1994 after a large collection of prohibited weapons was found at premises in St John’s Wood.

Judge Nicholas Evans said he would give a written ruling on the extradition on 30 November.

This article was written by Sanchez Manning and published by the Independent on October 26, 2011.

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States and the United Kingdom here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


British Fight Extradition of Babar Ahmad to US

July 29, 2011

A senior Parliamentary committee has called for the Government to take immediate action to stop the extradition of British detainee, Babar Ahmad, to the US.

The Joint Committee on Human Rights (JCHR) published a report on UK Extradition Policy, in which they investigated cases of extradition to America, where the evidence used was gathered by UK police, in the UK, about acts committed on UK soil and where the Crown Prosecution Service had decided not to prosecute. In these situations, it would be expected for the accused to be released, as with them having not been prosecuted, there would be no reason for them to be further detained. However, under Article 5(3) of the US-UK Extradition Treaty 2003, extradition is allowed where the competent authorities of the Requested State have decided not to prosecute, discontinue prosecution or are still investigating. The US has requested the extradition of Babar Ahmad under this article.

Ahmad is the longest detained-without-charge British detainee in modern history, having been held as a part of the global “war on terror” for the last six years.

Commenting on the UK’s extradition policy, particularly on Article 5(3), the JCHR stated at paragraph 196 of their report: “We recommend that the Government urgently renegotiate this article of the US-UK extradition treaty to exclude the possibility that extradition is requested and granted in cases such as that of (…) Mr Ahmad, where the UK police and prosecution authorities have already made a decision not to charge or prosecute an individual on the same evidence adduced by the US authorities to request extradition.”

This statement follows the recent comment, made by Judge Geoffrey Rivlin QC, Recorder of Westminster and Deputy High Court Judge, for Ahmad’s “ordeal” to come to an end.

Having received these recent comments, the family of Babar Ahmad are calling upon the British Government to either release him, or to put him on trial in the UK. They of course join the senior Parliamentary committee in protesting Ahmad’s extradition to the US, and are appealing to the UK’s current extradition laws.

When asked by The Muslim News about the controversial UK Extradition Policy, a Home Office spokesperson said, “The UK’s extradition arrangements are currently being reviewed by an independent panel to ensure they operate effectively and in the interests of justice.”

As the aspects of the policy that we asked about are the main aspects being questioned in the review, they felt it would be “inappropriate to comment further”.

However, the review is not expected to be completed until the end of this summer, which could prove to be too late for many victims of the UK Extradition Policy.

This article was written by Saliha Shariff and published by The Muslim News on July 29, 2011.

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN List Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

Bookmark and Share


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 8,488 other followers