Sweden International Extradition Treaty with the United States
October 24, 1961, Date-Signed
December 3, 1963, Date-In-Force
Convention and protocol signed at Washington on October 24, 1961.
Ratification advised by the Senate of the United States of America on October 22, 1963. It was Ratified by the President of the United States of America on October 29, 1963. It was Ratified by Sweden on April 27, 1962. Ratifications were exchanged at Stockholm on December 3, 1963. It was Proclaimed by the President of the United States of America on December 20, 1963. It Entered into force on December 3, 1963.
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
WHEREAS a convention on extradition between the United States of America and Sweden, together with a related protocol, was signed at Washington on October 24, 1961, the originals of which convention and protocol, being in the English and Swedish languages, are word for word as follows:
CONVENTION ON EXTRADITION BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND SWEDEN
The United States of America and the Kingdom of Sweden desiring to make more effective the cooperation of the two countries in the repression of crime, have resolved to conclude a Convention on Extradition and for this purpose have appointed the following Plenipotentiaries:
The President of the United States of America:
Dean Rusk, Secretary of State of the United States of America, and His Majesty the King of Sweden:
Gunnar Jarring, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Sweden to the United States of America,
who, having communicated to each other their respective full powers, found to be in good and due form, agree as follows:
Each Contracting State undertakes to surrender to the other, subject to the provisions and conditions laid down in this Convention, those persons found in its territory who have been charged with or convicted of any of the offenses specified in Article II of this Convention committed within the territorial jurisdiction of the other, or outside thereof under the conditions specified in Article IV of this Convention; provided that such surrender shall take place only upon such evidence of criminality as, according to the laws of the place where the person sought shall be found, would justify his commitment for trial if the offense had been there committed.
Extradition shall be granted, subject to the provisions of this Convention, for the following offenses:
1. Murder, including infanticide; the killing of a human being, when such act is punishable in the United States as voluntary manslaughter, and in Sweden as manslaughter.
2. Malicious wounding; mayhem; willful assault resulting in grievous bodily harm.
3. Kidnapping; abduction.
4. Rape; abortion; carnal knowledge of a girl under the age specified by law in such cases in both the requesting and requested State.
5. Procuration, defined as the procuring or transporting of a woman or girl under age, even with her consent, for immoral purposes, or of a woman or girl over age, by fraud, threats, or compulsion, for such purposes with a view in either case to gratifying the passions of another person; profiting from the prostitution of another.
7. Robbery; burglary, defined to be the breaking into or entering either in day or night time, a house, office, or other building of a government, corporation, or private person, with intent to commit a felony therein.
9. The malicious and unlawful damaging of railways, trains, vessels, aircraft, bridges, vehicles, and other means of travel or of public or private buildings, or other structures, when the act committed shall endanger human life.
10. Piracy; mutiny on board a vessel or an aircraft for the purpose of rebelling against the authority of the Captain or Commander of such vessel or aircraft; or by fraud or violence taking possession of such vessel or aircraft.
11. Blackmail or extortion.
12. Forgery, or the utterance of forged papers; the forgery or falsification of official acts of government, of public authorities, or of courts of justice, or the utterance of the thing forged or falsified.
13. The counterfeiting, falsifying or altering of money, whether coin or paper, or of instruments of debt created by national, state, provincial, or municipal governments, or of coupons thereof, or of bank-notes, or the utterance or circulation of the same; or the counterfeiting, falsifying or altering of seals of state.
14. Embezzlement by public officers; embezzlement by persons hired or salaried, to the detriment of their employers; larceny; obtaining money, valuable securities or other property by false pretenses, or by threats of injury; receiving money, valuable securities or other property knowing the same to have been embezzled, stolen or fraudulently obtained.
15. Making use of the mails or other means of communication in connection with schemes devised or intended to deceive or defraud the public or for the purpose of obtaining money under false pretenses.
16. Fraud or breach of trust by a bailee, banker, agent, factor, trustee or other person acting in a fiduciary capacity, or director or member or officer of any company.
17. Soliciting, receiving, or offering bribes.
18. Perjury; subornation of perjury.
19. Offenses against the laws for the suppression of slavery and slave trading.
20. Offenses against the bankruptcy laws.
21. Smuggling, defined to be the act of willfully and knowingly violating the customs laws with intent to defraud the revenue by international traffic in merchandise subject to duty.
22. Offenses against the laws relating to the traffic in, use of, or production or manufacture of, narcotic drugs or cannabis.
23. Offenses against the laws relating to the illicit manufacture of or traffic in poisonous chemicals or substances injurious to health.
24. The attempt to commit any of the above offenses when such attempt is made a separate offense by the laws of the Contracting States.
25. Participation in any of the above offenses.
1. The requested State shall, subject to the provisions of this Convention, extradite a person charged with or convicted of any offense enumerated in Article II only when both of the following conditions exist:
(a) The law of the requesting State, in force when the offense was committed, provides a possible penalty of deprivation of liberty for a period of more than one year; and
(b) The law in force in the requested State generally provides a possible penalty of deprivation of liberty for a period of more than one year which would be applicable if the offense were committed in the territory of the requested State.
2. When the person sought has been sentenced in the requesting State, the punishment awarded must have been for a period of at least four months.
1. Extradition need not be granted for an offense which has been committed within the territorial jurisdiction of the requested State, but if the offense has been committed in the requested State by an officer or employee of the requesting State, who is a national of the requesting State, the executive authority of the requested State shall, subject to its laws, have the power to surrender the person sought if, in its discretion, it be deemed proper to do so.
2. When the offense has been committed outside the territorial jurisdiction of the requesting State, the request for extradition need not be honored unless the laws of the requesting State and those of the requested State authorize prosecution of such offense under corresponding circumstances.
3. The words “territorial jurisdiction” as used in this Article and in Article I of this Convention mean: territory, including territorial waters, and the airspace thereover, belonging to or under the control of one of the Contracting States; and vessels and aircraft belonging to one of the Contracting States or to a citizen or corporation thereof when such vessel is on the high seas or such aircraft is over the high seas.
Extradition shall not be granted in any of the following circumstances:
1. When the person sought has already been or is at the time of the request being proceeded against in the requested State in accordance with the criminal laws of that State for the offense for which his extradition is requested.
2. When the legal proceedings or the enforcement of the penalty for the offense has become barred by limitation according to the laws of either the requesting State or the requested State.
3. When the person sought has been or will be tried in the requesting State by an extraordinary tribunal or court.
4. When the offense is purely military.
5. If the offense is regarded by the requested State as a political offense or as an offense connected with a political offense.
6. If in the specific case it is found to be obviously incompatible with the requirements of humane treatment, because of, for example, the youth or health of the person sought, taking into account also the nature of the offense and the interests of the requesting State.
When the person sought is being proceeded against in accordance with the criminal laws of the requested State or is serving a sentence in that State for an offense other than that for which extradition has been requested, his surrender may be deferred until such proceedings have been terminated or he is entitled to be set at liberty.
There is no obligation upon the requested State to grant the extradition of a person who is a national of the requested State, but the executive authority of the requested State shall, subject to the appropriate laws of that State, have the power to surrender a national of that State if, in its discretion, it be deemed proper to do so.
If the offense for which extradition is requested is punishable by death under the law of the requesting State and the law of the requested State does not permit this punishment, extradition may be refused unless the requesting State gives such assurance as the requested State considers sufficient that the death penalty will not be carried out.
A person extradited by virtue of this Convention may not be tried or punished by the requesting State for any offense committed prior to his extradition, other than that which gave rise to the request, nor may he be re-extradited by the requesting State to a third country which claims him, unless the surrendering State so agrees or unless the person extradited, having been set at liberty within the requesting State, remains voluntarily in the requesting State for more than 45 days from the date on which he was released. Upon such release, he shall be informed of the consequences to which his stay in the territory of the requesting State might subject him.
To the extent permitted under the law of the requested State and subject to the rights of third parties, which shall be duly respected, all articles acquired as a result of the offense or which may be required as evidence shall be surrendered.
1. The request for extradition shall be made through the diplomatic channel and shall be supported by the following documents:
(a) In the case of a person who has been convicted of the offense: a duly certified or authenticated copy of the final sentence of the competent court. However, in exceptional cases, the requested State may request additional documentation.
(b) In the case of a person who is merely charged with the offense: a duly certified or authenticated copy of the warrant of arrest or other order of detention issued by the competent authorities of the requesting State, together with the depositions, record of investigation or other evidence upon which such warrant or order may have been issued and such other evidence or proof as may be deemed competent in the case.
2. The documents specified in this Article must include a precise statement of the criminal act with which the person sought is charged or of which he has been convicted, and the place and date of the commission of the criminal act. The said documents must be accompanied by an authenticated copy of the texts of the applicable laws of the requesting State including the laws relating to the limitation of the legal proceedings or the enforcement of the penalty for the offense for which the extradition of the person is sought, and data or records which will prove the identity of the person sought as well as information as to his nationality and residence.
3. The documents in support of the request for extradition shall be accompanied by a duly certified translation thereof into the language of the requested State.
1. The Contracting States may request, through the diplomatic channel, the provisional arrest of a person, provided that the offense for which he is sought is one for which extradition shall be granted under this Convention. The request shall contain:
(a) A statement of the offense with which the person sought is charged or of which he has been convicted;
(b) A description of the person sought for the purpose of identification;
(c) A statement of his whereabouts, if known; and
(d) A declaration that there exist and will be forthcoming the relevant documents required by Article XI of this Convention.
2. If, within a maximum period of 40 days from the date of the provisional arrest of the person in accordance with this Article, the requesting State does not present the formal request for his extradition, duly supported, the person detained will be set at liberty and a new request for his extradition will be accepted only when accompanied by the relevant documents required by Article XI of this Convention.
1. Expenses related to the transportation of the person extradited shall be paid by the requesting State. The appropriate legal officers of the country in which the extradition proceedings take place shall, by all legal means within their power, assist the officers of the requesting State before the respective judges and magistrates. No pecuniary claim, arising out of the arrest, detention, examination and surrender of fugitives under the terms of this Convention, shall be made by the requested State against the requesting State other than as specified in the second paragraph of this Article and other than for the lodging, maintenance, and board of the person being extradited prior to his surrender.
2. The legal officers, other officers of the requested State, and court stenographers in the requested State who shall, in the usual course of their duty, give assistance and who receive no salary or compensation other than specific fees for services performed, shall be entitled to receive from the requesting State the usual payment for such acts or services performed by them in the same manner and to the same amount as though such acts or services had been performed in ordinary criminal proceedings under the laws of the country of which they are officers.
1. Transit through the territory of one of the Contracting States of a person in the custody of an agent of the other Contracting State, and surrendered to the latter by a third State, and who is not of the nationality of the country of transit, shall, subject to the provisions of the second paragraph of this Article, be permitted, independently of any judicial formalities, when requested through diplomatic channels and accompanied by the presentation in original or in authenticated copy of the document by which the State of refuge has granted the extradition. In the United States of America, the authority of the Secretary of State of the United States of America shall be first obtained.
2. The permission provided for in this Article may nevertheless be refused if the criminal act which has given rise to the extradition does not constitute an offense enumerated in Article II of this Convention, or when grave reasons of public order are opposed to the transit.
To the extent consistent with the stipulations of this Convention and with respect to matters not covered herein, extradition shall be governed by the laws and regulations of the requested State.
1. This Convention shall be ratified and the ratifications shall be exchanged at Stockholm as soon as possible.
2. This Convention shall enter into force upon the exchange of ratifications. It may be terminated by either Contracting State giving notice of termination to the other Contracting State at any time, the termination to be effective six months after the date of such notice.
KONVENTION OM UTLAMNING MELLAN AMERIKAS FORENTA STATER OCH SVERIGE
Amerikas Forenta Stater och Konungariket Sverige, vilka onska vidga de tva staternas samarbete i fraga om brottslighetens bekampande, ha beslutat att avsluta en konvention om utlamning och ha for detta andamal utsett foljande befullmaktigade ombud:
Amerikas Forenta Staters President:
Dean Rusk, Amerikas Forenta Staters Secretary of State, och Hans Majestat Konungen av Sverige:
Gunnar Jarring, Sveriges utomordentlige och befullmaktigade ambassador i Amerikas Forenta Stater,
vilka efter att ha delgivit varandra sina respektive fullmakter, som befunnits i god och behorig form, overenskomma om foljande.
Vardera avtalsslutande staten atager sig att i enlighet med de bestammelser och villkor som faststallts i denna konvention, till den andra staten utlamna personer, som patraffats a dess territorium och vilka aro misstankta eller domda for nagot av de brott, som angivas i artikel II i denna konvention och vilka begatts inom den andra statens territoriella jurisdiktionsomrade eller utanfor detta under de i artikel IV av denna konvention angivna villkoren. Sadan utlamning skall dock aga rum endast pa grundval av sadan bevisning om brottslighet, som enligt lagstiftningen pa den ort, dar den eftersokte patraffats, skulle rattfardiga hans stallande infor ratta, om brottet begatts dar.
Utlamning skall, i enlighet med bestammelserna i denna konvention, beviljas for foljande brott:
1. Mord, inbegripet barnamord; dodande av annan, da sadan garning ar straffbar i Sverige sasom drap och i Forenta Staterna sasom drap av vilja.
2. Avsiktligt tillfogande av skada a person och uppsatlig misshandel, foranledande allvarlig kroppsskada.
3. Bortforande av barn eller vuxen.
4. Valdtakt; fosterfordrivning; otukt med kvinna, vilken ej uppnatt den alder som for sadant fall angivits av lagen i saval den ansokande som den anmodade staten.
5. Koppleri, bestamt sasom tillhandahallande eller befordran i osedlight syfte av underarig kvinna, aven med hennes medgivande, eller i samma syfte av annan kvinna genom brukande av svek, hot eller tvang, i bada fallen for att tillfredsstalla annan persons begar; utnyttjande for egen vinning av annans otuktiga levnadssatt.
7. Ran; inbrott, bestamt sasom garning, varigenom nagon under dag eller natt bryter sig in i eller forskaffar sig tilltrade till hus, kontor eller annan byggnad, tillhorande staten, juridisk person eller enskild, i avsikt att dari forova tillgrepp eller annan liknande garning.
9. Avsiktlig olaglig skadegorelse a jarnvag, tag, fartyg, luftfartyg, bro, fordon och annat fortskaffningsmedel eller a allman eller enskild byggnad eller byggnadsverk, om garningen innebar fara for manniskoliv.
10. Sjoroveri; myteri ombord a fartyg eller luftfartyg i avsikt att satta sig upp mot fartygets eller luftfartygets befalhavare; besittningstagande av fartyg eller luftfartyg genom svikligt forfarande eller vald.
12. Forfalskning eller brukande av falsk urkund; eftergorande eller forfalskning av regerings, offentlig myndighets eller domstols officiella handlingar eller brukande av det salunda eftergjorda eller forfalskade.
13. Eftergorande, forfalskning eller forandrande av penningar, vare sig mynt eller sedlar, eller av skuldebrev, utgivna av federal, delstatlig, provinsiell eller kommunal myndighet, eller av dartill horande kuponger eller ock av banksedlar samt utgivande eller utprangling darav; eller eftergorande, forfalskning eller forandrande av offentliga sigill.
14. Forskingring av ambets- eller tjansteman; forskingring av anstalld till forfang for arbetsgivaren; stold; atkomst av penningar, vardepapper eller annan egendom genom bedrageri eller hot att tillfoga skada; mottagande av penningar, vardepapper eller annan egendom med vetskap om att det mottagna atkommits genom forskingring, stold eller bedrageri.
15. Brukande av allmanna posten eller andra kommunikationsmedel i samband med forberedande atgarder, syftande till att vilseleda allmanheten eller att utfa penningar under falska forespeglingar.
16. Bedrageri eller troloshet av forvaltare eller syssloman, bankir, agent, kommissionar, formyndare, god man eller annan som innehar fortroendestallning eller av direktor, styrelseledamot eller tjansteman i bolag.
17. Begarande, mottagande eller erbjudande av muta.
18. Mened; anstiftan av mened.
19. Brott enligt lagstiftning om undertryckande av slaveri och slavhandel.
21. Smuggling, bestamt sasom garning varigenom nagon avsiktligt overtrader tullagstiftning i syfte att undandraga tullavgift pa internationell handel med tullbelagd vara.
22. Brott enligt lagstiftning om handel med samt brukande, framstallning eller tillverkning av narkotiska amnen eller hashish.
23. Brott enligt lagstiftning om otillaten tillverkning av eller handel med giftiga kemikalier eller halsovadliga varor.
24. Forsok till nagot av ovannamnda brott, darest sadant forsok ar brottsligt enligt lagstiftningen i de avtalsslutande staterna.
25. Medverkan till nagot av ovannamnda brott.
1. Den anmodade staten skall, i enlighet med bestammelserna i denna konvention, utlamna den som ar misstankt eller domd for nagot av de i artikel II uppraknade brotten, allenast om foljande bada forutsattningar aro uppfyllda:
a) Enligt den ansokande statens lagstiftning, i dess lydelse vid tidpunkten for brottets begaende, kan a brottet folja frihetsstraff under langre tid an ett ar; samt
b) enligt gallande lagstiftning i den anmodade staten kan a brottet i allmanhet folja frihetsstraff under langre tid an ett ar, vilken pafoljd skulle tillampas, om brottet hade begatts pa den anmodade statens territorium.
2. Har den eftersokte domts i den ansokande staten, maste det utmatta straffet avse frihetsberovande under en tid av lagst fyra manader.
1. Utlamning behover icke medgivas for brott, som begatts inom den anmodade statens territoriella jurisdiktionsomrade. Har brottet begatts inom den anmodade staten av nagon som ar ambets- eller tjansteman hos den ansokande staten och tillika medborgare dari, skall den anmodade staten, med tillampning av sin lagstiftning, aga ratt att overlamna den vars utlamning begarts, darest enligt dess bedomande det anses lampligt att sa forfara.
2. Har brottet begatts utanfor den ansokande statens territoriella jurisdiktionsomrade, behover framstallning om utlamning icke bifallas med mindre lagstiftningen i den ansokande staten samt lagstiftningen i den anmodade staten under motsvarande forhallanden medgiver beivrande av sadant brott.
3. Med uttrycket “territoriellt jurisdiktionsomrade” i denna artikel och artikel I i denna konvention forstas territorium, inbegripet territorialvattnet och luftrummet darover, som tillhor endera avtalsslutande staten eller star under dess kontroll, liksom fartyg och luftfartyg, tillhorande endera avtalsslutande staten eller dess medborgare eller dar hemmahorande juridisk person, nar sadant fartyg befinner sig a oppna havet eller sadant luftfartyg befinner sig over oppna havet.
Utlamning skall icke medgivas nar nagon av foljande omstandigheter foreligger:
1. Om den vars utlamning begarts redan lagforts eller vid tiden for framstallningen lagfores i den anmodade staten i enlighet med gallande strafflag i denna stat for det brott, for vilket utlamningen begarts.
2. Om talan a brottet preskriberats eller straffet for brottet eljest forfallit enligt lagstiftningen i antingen den ansokande eller den anmodade staten.
3. Om den som begarts utlamnad atalats eller kommer att atalas infor extraordinar domstol i den ansokande staten.
4. Om garningen utgor brott enbart enligt militar lagstiftning.
5. Om brottet av den anmodade staten betraktas som politiskt eller forknippat med ett politiskt brott.
6. Om utlamning i sarskilt fall finnes uppenbart oforenlig med humanitetens krav pa grund av, exempelvis, den avsedda personens ungdom eller halsotillstand, med beaktande jamval av brottets beskaffenhet och den ansokande statens intressen.
Om den som begarts utlamnad ar foremal for atgarder enligt den anmodade statens strafflagstiftning med anledning av annat brott an det for vilket utlamning begarts eller denne for sadant brott avtjanar straff i den anmodade staten, ma med hans overlamnande ansta till dess att av brottet pakallade sadana atgarder slutforts eller han ar berattigad till frigivning.
Den anmodade staten ar icke forpliktad att medgiva utlamning av person, som ar medborgare i denna stat, men skall i enlighet med sin lagstiftning aga ratt att overlamna egen medborgare, om detta enligt dess bedomande anses bora ske.
Om det brott for vilket utlamning begares enligt den ansokande statens lagstiftning forskyller dodsstraff men lagstiftningen i den anmodade staten icke medgiver att sadant straff utdomes, ma utlamning vagras, darest ej den ansokande staten avgiver sadan forsakran, som den anmodade staten finner tillfyllest, att dodsstraff icke kommer att verkstallas.
Den som utlamnats enligt denna konvention ma icke lagforas eller straffas i den ansokande staten for annat fore utlamningen beganget brott an det, som foranlett utlamningen, och ej heller av namnda stat vidareutlamnas till tredje land som eftersoker honom, med mindre den stat, som overlamnat honom, samtycker dartill eller ock han sjalv, efter att ha frigivits i den ansokande staten frivilligt kvarstannar dar under langre tid an 45 dagar fran dagen for hans frigivande. Vid frigivande som nyss sagts skall han underrattas om den pafoljd hans uppehall a den ansokande statens territorium ma medfora for hans vidkommande.
I den utstrackning lagstiftningen i den anmodade staten sa medger och under vederborligt tillgodoseende av tredje mans rattigheter skola alla foremal, som atkommits genom brottet eller erfordras sasom bevis, overlamnas.
1. Framstallning om utlamning skall goras pa diplomatisk vag och skall grundas pa foljande handlingar.
a) Betraffande den som ar domd for brottet: Vederborligen bestyrkt utskrift eller avskrift av den behoriga domstolens dom. I undantagsfall ma dock den anmodade staten begara ytterligare handlingar.
b) Betraffande den som endast misstankes for brottet: Vederborligen bestyrkt utskrift eller avskrift av haktningsbeslut eller annat beslut om frihetsberovande, meddelat av behorig myndighet i den ansokande staten, jamte vittnesutsagor, forundersokningsprotokoll eller annan bevisning, pa grund varav sadant beslut ma ha meddelats, liksom bevisning i ovrigt, som ma anses vara av betydelse i arendet.
2. I denna artikel angivna handlingar skola innehalla en otvetydig beskrivning av den garning, for vilken den eftersokte ar misstankt eller domd samt uppgift om plats och dag for garningens begaende. Handlingarna skola atfoljas av bestyrkt avskrift av den ansokande statens tillampliga lag, dari inbegripet lagstiftningen om preskription av atal eller om bortfall av straff for det brott, for vilket utlamning begares, liksom uppgifter till styrkande av den eftersoktes identitet och till upplysning om hans medborgarskap och hemvist.
3. Handlingarna, vara framstallningen om utlamning grundas, skola vara atfoljda av vederborligen bestyrkt oversattning till den anmodade statens sprak.
1. Avtalsslutande stat ma pa diplomatisk vag begara provisoriskt anhallande av en person, forutsatt att det brott, for vilket han eftersokes, ar av det slag, for vilket utlamning skall medgivas enligt denna konvention. Framstallningen skall innehalla:
a) Uppgift om det brott, for vilket den eftersokte ar misstankt eller domd;
b) Signalement till ledning for den eftersoktes identifiering;
c) Uppgift om hans uppehallsplats, darest denna ar kand; samt
d) Forklaring att de enligt artikel XI i denna konvention erforderliga handlingarna foreligga och komma att overlamnas.
2. Om den ansokande staten icke inom en tidrymd av hogst 40 dagar fran det att den eftersokte provisoriskt anhallits i enlighet med denna artikel foreter for hans utlamnande foreskriven framstallning jamte vederborlig dokumentation, skall den anhallne frigivas. Ny framstallning om hans utlamnande ma godtagas endast om den atfoljes av de enligt artikel XI i denna konvention erforderliga handlingarna.
1. Kostnader for transport av den utlamnade skola baras av den ansokande staten. Vederborande judiciella tjansteman i det land, dar utlamningsforfarandet ager rum, skola med alla dem till buds staende rattsliga medel bitrada den ansokande statens tjansteman infor vederborande domstolar. Den anmodade staten skall icke aga fordra ersattning av den ansokande staten for kostnader, som uppkommit till foljd av den eftersoktes anhallande eller haktning, forhor med honom eller hans overlamnande i enlighet med bestammelserna i denna konvention utom for sadana som angivas i andra stycket av denna artikel eller for sadana som ha avseende pa den utlamnades kost, logi och underhall i ovrigt fore hans overlamnande.
2. Domstolstjansteman, andra tjansteman samt domstolsstenografer i den anmodade staten, vilka i sin tjanst bitratt vid utlamningsforfarandet och vilka icke erhalla annan avloning eller ersattning an sarskilt, efter utfort arbete utgaende arvode, aro berattigade att av den ansokande staten erhalla vanligen utgaende betalning for sitt bitrade pa samma satt och med samma belopp, som om bitradet lamnats i vanligt brottmalsforfarande enligt lagstiftningen i den stat vars tjansteman de aro.
1. Transport genom den ena avtalsslutande statens territorium under overvakning av foretradare for den andra avtalsslutande staten av den som utlamnats till den senare staten fran tredje stat och vilken icke ar medborgare i den stat varigenom han fores skall, dar ej annat foljer av bestammelserna i andra stycket i denna artikel, tillatas utan nagra rattsliga formaliteter, nar detta begares pa diplomatisk vag och framstallningen ar atfoljd av den handling, i original eller bestyrkt avskrift, medelst vilken tillflyktsstaten medgivit utlamningen. I Amerikas Forenta Stater skall bemyndigande forst inhamtas fran Amerikas Forenta Staters Secretary of State.
2. Tillstand varom formales i denna artikel ma likval vagras, om den garning som foranlett utlamningen icke utgor nagot i artikel II i denna konvention uppraknat brott eller darest enligt allmanna rattsprinciper (ordre public) synnerliga skal tala emot genomtransporten.
I den utstrackning detta star i overensstammelse med bestammelserna i denna konvention och betraffande sadant som icke innefattas dari skall utlamning regleras av gallande lagar och foreskrifter i den anmodade staten.
1. Denna konvention skall ratificeras och ratifikationsinstrumenten skola utvaxlas i Stockholm snarast mojligt.
2. Konventionen skall trada i kraft i och med utvaxlingen av ratifikationsinstrumenten. Den ma nar som helst uppsagas av avtalsslutande stat genom meddelande harom till den andra avtalsslutande staten och uppsagningen skall trada i kraft sex manader efter det sadant meddelande lamnats.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the respective Plenipotentiaries have signed this Convention and have affixed hereunto their seals.
DONE, in duplicate, in the English and Swedish languages, both versions being equally authentic, at Washington this twenty-fourth day of October 1961.
TILL BEKRAFTELSE HARAV ha de befullmaktigade ombuden undertecknat denna konvention och har nedan anbringat sina sigill.
SOM SKEDDE i tva exemplar, pa engelska och svenska spraken, vilka aga lika vitsord, i Washington den tjugufjarde oktober 1961.
At the time of the signing of the Convention on Extradition this day concluded between the United States of America and Sweden, the undersigned Plenipotentiaries
Considering that the Swedish Penal Code provides for two general types of penalties of deprivation of liberty, namely, simple imprisonment (“fangelse”) and imprisonment with hard labor (“straffarbete”), and that Article IV of the Swedish Extradition Act of December 6, 1957, provides that no person may be extradited unless the crime for which extradition is requested corresponds to an offense for which a sentence of imprisonment with hard labor (“straffarbete”) may be imposed according to Swedish law, and
Realizing that it is the intention of the Government of Sweden to present to the Riksdag a bill to amend the Swedish Penal Code so as to eliminate those two types of deprivation of liberty, replacing them with only one type, namely, imprisonment (“fangelse”), and, also, as a consequence thereof to amend accordingly Article IV of the Swedish Extradition Act,
Agree upon the following provisions respecting the application of paragraph 1 of Article III of the Convention:
1. In the event of a request by the United States for extradition from Sweden, the offense for which extradition is requested must be punishable,
a. under United States law, by a possible deprivation of liberty for a period of more than one year and,
b. under Swedish law, had the offense been committed in Sweden, by a possible imprisonment with hard labor (“straffarbete”) for a period of more than one year.
2. In the event of a request by Sweden for extradition from the United States, the offense for which extradition is requested must be punishable,
a. under Swedish law, by a possible imprisonment with hard labor (“straffarbete”) for a period of more than one year and,
b. under United States law, had the offense been committed in the United States, by a possible deprivation of liberty for a period of more than one year.
This protocol shall enter into force upon entry into force of the Convention, and shall be considered an integral part thereof, if the aforedescribed amendments to the Swedish Penal Code and the Swedish Extradition Act shall not then have taken place and become effective.
This protocol shall terminate on the date upon which the aforedescribed amendments of the Swedish Penal Code and the Swedish Extradition Act become effective. The Government of Sweden shall notify the Government of the United States in writing of such date.
Vid undertecknandet av den innevarande dag mellan Amerikas Forenta Stater och Sverige avslutade konventionen om utlamning ha undertecknade befullmaktigade ombud
i betraktande av att den svenska strafflagen stadgar tva allmanna slag av frihetsstraff, namligen fangelse och straffarbete, och att 4 § i den svenska lagen den 6 december 1957 om utlamning for brott stadgar, att nagon ej ma utlamnas, med mindre den garning for vilken utlamning begares motsvarar brott, vara straffarbete kan folja enligt svensk lag, och
med kannedom om svenska regeringens avsikt att for riksdagen framlagga forslag om andring av den svenska strafflagen for att avskaffa de tva namnda slagen frihetsberovande och ersatta dem med ett enda sadant, namligen fangelse, samt darav foranledd andring av 4 § i den svenska lagen om utlamning for brott,
overenskommit om foljande bestammelser rorande tillampningen av artikel III, punkt 1, i konventionen:
1. I handelse av framstallning fran Forenta Staterna om utlamning fran Sverige maste den garning for vilken utlamning begares kunna bestraffas
a. enligt lagstiftningen i Forenta Staterna med frihetsberovande under langre tid an ett ar, och,
b. enligt lagstiftningen i Sverige, om brottet skulle ha begatts dar, med straffarbete under langre tid an ett ar.
2. I handelse av framstallning fran Sverige om utlamning fran Forenta Staterna maste den garning for vilken utlamning begares kunna bestraffas
a. enligt lagstiftningen i Sverige med straffarbete under langre tid an ett ar, och,
b. enligt lagstiftningen i Forenta Staterna, om brottet skulle ha begatts dar, med frihetsberovande under langre tid an ett ar.
Forevarande protokoll trader i kraft vid konventionens ikrafttradande och skall anses utgora en integrerande del darav, forutsatt att forenamnda andringar i den svenska strafflagen och den svenska lagen om utlamning for brott icke da redan foretagits och tratt i kraft.
Forevarande protokoll skall upphora att galla vid den tidpunkt, da namnda andringar i den svenska strafflagen och den svenska lagen om utlamning for brott trada i kraft. Sveriges regering skall skriftligen underratta Forenta Staternas regering om namnda tidpunkt.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the respective Plenipotentiaries have signed this protocol and have affixed hereunto their seals.
DONE in duplicate, in the English and Swedish languages, both versions being equally authentic, at Washington this twenty-fourth day of October 1961.
TILL BEKRAFTELSE HARAV ha de befullmaktigade ombuden undertecknat forevarande protokoll och dara anbringat sina sigill.
SOM SKEDDE i tva exemplar, pa engelska och svenska spraken, vilka bada texter aga lika vitsord, i Washington den tjugufjarde oktober 1961.
WHEREAS the Senate of the United States of America by their resolution of October 22, 1963, two-thirds of the Senators present concurring therein, did advise and consent to the ratification of the said convention, together with the said protocol;
WHEREAS the said convention and protocol were ratified by the President of the United States of America on October 29, 1963, in pursuance of the aforesaid advice and consent of the Senate, and were ratified on the part of Sweden on April 27, 1962;
WHEREAS the respective instruments of ratification of the said convention and protocol were duly exchanged at Stockholm on December 3, 1963;
AND WHEREAS, in accordance with their provisions, the said convention and protocol entered into force upon the exchange of ratifications;
NOW, THEREFORE, be it known that I, Lyndon B. Johnson, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim and make public the said convention and protocol, to the end that the same and every article and clause thereof may be observed and fulfilled in good faith on and after December 3, 1963 by the United States of America and by the citizens of the United States of America and all other persons subject to the jurisdiction thereof.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States of America to be affixed.
DONE at the city of Washington this twentieth day of December in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred sixty-three and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred eighty-eighth.
FOR THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:
FOR AMERIKAS FORENTA STATER:
LYNDON B. JOHNSON
By the President:
Secretary of State
Sweden Extradition Treaty-Supplementary with the United States
March 14, 1983, Date-Signed
September 24, 1984, Date-In-Force
Supplementary convention signed at Stockholm March 14, 1983. Transmitted by the President of the United States of America to the Senate May 25, 1983; Reported favorably by the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations June 20, 1984; Advice and consent to ratification given by the Senate on June 28, 1984; It was Ratified by the President on July 13, 1984; It was Ratified by Sweden on July 2, 1984; Ratifications were exchanged at Washington on September 24, 1984. It was Proclaimed by the President on October 31, 1984. It Entered into force on September 24, 1984.
SUPPLEMENTARY CONVENTION ON EXTRADITION BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND THE KINGDOM OF SWEDEN
TILLAGGSKONVENTION OM UTLAMNING MELLAN AMERIKAS FORENTA STATER OCH KONUNGARIKET SVERIGE
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION CONSIDERING THAT:
The Supplementary Convention to the Extradition Convention of October 24, 1961 between the United States of America and the Kingdom of Sweden was signed at Stockholm on March 14, 1983, the text of which is hereto annexed; The Senate of the United States of America by its resolution of June 28, 1984, two-thirds of the Senators present concurring therein, gave its advice and consent to ratification of the Supplementary Convention; The Supplementary Convention was ratified by the President of the United States of America on July 13, 1984, in pursuance of the advice and consent of the Senate, and was ratified on the part of the Kingdom of Sweden; It is provided in Article XIII of the Supplementary Convention that the Supplementary Convention shall enter into force in accordance with the terms of Article XVI of the Convention on Extradition between the United States of America and Sweden signed at Washington on October 24, 1961; Article XVI of the Convention of October 24, 1961 provides for entry into force upon the exchange of instruments of ratification; The instruments of ratification of the Supplementary Convention were exchanged at Washington on September 24, 1984, and accordingly the Supplementary Convention entered into force on September 24, 1984;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Ronald Reagan, President of the United States of America, proclaim and make public the Supplementary Convention to the end that it be observed and fulfilled with good faith on and after September 24, 1984, by the United States of America and by the citizens of the United States of America and all other persons subject to the jurisdiction thereof.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have signed this proclamation and caused the Seal of the United States of America to be affixed. DONE at the city of Washington this thirty-first day of October in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred eighty-four and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred ninth. The Government of the United States of America and the Government of the Kingdom of Sweden, desiring to make more effective the Extradition Convention signed at Washington October 24, 1961, have agreed upon the following amendments and additions to the convention:
Article I Each Contracting State undertakes to surrender to the other, subject to the provisions and conditions laid down in this Convention, those persons found in its territory who are sought for the purpose of prosecution, who have been found guilty of committing an offense, or who are wanted for the enforcement of a sentence, in respect of any offense made extraditable under Article II of this Convention committed within the territorial jurisdiction of the other, or outside thereof under the conditions specified in Article IV of this Convention.
Article II (1) An offense shall be an extraditable offense only if it is punishable under the laws of both Contracting States by deprivation of liberty for a period of at least two years. However, when the request for extradition relates to a person who has been convicted and sentenced, extradition shall be granted only if the duration of the penalty, or the aggregate of the penalties still to be served amounts to at least six months.
(2) For the purpose of this Article, it shall not matter;
(a) whether or not the laws of the Contracting States place the offense within the same category of offenses or denominate the offense by the same terminology; or
(b) whether or not the offense is one for which United States federal law requires proof of interstate transportation, or use of the mails or of other facilities affecting interstate or foreign commerce, such matters being merely for the purpose of establishing jurisdiction in a United States federal court.
(3) Subject to the conditions set out in paragraphs (1) and (2) of this Article, extradition shall also be granted for conspiring in, attempting, preparing for, or participating in, the commission of an offense.
(4) When extradition has been granted with respect to an extraditable offense, it shall also be granted with respect to any other offense specified in the extradition request that meets all other requirements for extradition except for periods of deprivation of liberty set forth in paragraph (1) of this Article.
Article III Deleted.
Article IV (1) Subject to the provisions of paragraph
(2) of this Article, extradition shall be granted in respect of an extraditable offense committed outside the territorial jurisdiction of the requesting State if:
(a) the courts of the requested State would be competent to exercise jurisdiction in similar circumstances; or
(b) the person sought is a national of the requesting State.
(2) Extradition may be refused for an offense which has been committed within the territorial jurisdiction of the requested State, when that State takes all possible measures in accordance with its own laws to prosecute the person claimed.
(3) The words “territorial jurisdiction” as used in this Article and in Article I of this Convention mean: territory, including territorial waters, and the airspace thereover, belonging to or under the control of one of the Contracting States; and vessels and aircraft belonging to one of the Contracting States or to a citizen or corporation thereof when such vessel is on the high seas or such aircraft is over the high seas.
Article VI If the extradition request is granted in the case of a person who is being prosecuted or is serving a sentence in the territory of the requested State for a different offense, the requested State may: (a) defer the surrender of the person sought until the conclusion of the proceedings against that person, or the full execution of any punishment that may be or may have been imposed; or (b) temporarily surrender the person sought to the requesting State for the purpose of prosecution. The person so surrendered shall be kept in custody while in the requesting State and shall be returned to the requested State after the conclusion of the proceedings against that person in accordance with conditions to be determined by mutual agreement of the Contracting States.
Article VII (1) There is no obligation upon the requested State to grant the extradition of a person who is a national of the requested State, but the executive authority of the requested State shall, subject to the appropriate laws of that State, have the power to surrender a national of that State if, in its discretion, it be deemed proper to do so.
(2) If the request for extradition is denied solely on the basis that the person claimed is a national of the requested State, that State shall, if asked to do so by the requesting State, take all possible measures in accordance with its own laws to prosecute the person claimed. If the requested State requires additional documents or evidence, such documents or evidence shall be submitted without charge to that State. The requesting State shall be informed of the result of its request.
Article XI (1) The request for extradition shall be made through the diplomatic channel.
(2) The request for extradition shall be accompanied by:
(a) a statement as to the identity and probable location of the person sought;
(b) a statement of the facts of the case, including, if possible, the time and location of the crime;
(c) the provisions of the law describing the essential elements and the designation of the offense for which extradition is requested;
(d) the provisions of the law describing the punishment for the offense; and
(e) the provisions of the law describing any time limit on the prosecution or the execution of punishment for the offense.
(3) A request for extradition relating to a person who is sought for prosecution also shall be accompanied by:
(a) evidence providing probable cause to believe that the person sought is the person to whom the warrant or decision of arrest refers;
(b) a certified copy of the warrant of arrest, issued by a judge or other competent judicial officer with respect to a request emanating from the United States, or a certified copy of the decision of arrest (haktningsbeslut) issued by a judge or other competent judicial officer with respect to a request emanating from Sweden, and such supplementary documentation as provides probable cause to believe that the person sought committed the offense for which extradition is requested. Such a warrant or decision of arrest and supplementary documentation shall be recognized as sufficient grounds for extradition, unless, in a specific case, it appears that the warrant or decision of arrest is manifestly ill-founded.
(4) In the case of a person who has been convicted of the offense, a request for extradition shall be accompanied by a duly certified or authenticated copy of the final sentence of the competent court. If the person was found guilty but not sentenced, the request shall be accompanied by a statement to that effect by the competent court. However, in exceptional cases, the requested State may request additional documentation.
(5) Documents transmitted through the diplomatic channel shall be admissible in extradition proceedings in the requested State without further certification, authentication or other legalization.
(6) The documents in support of the request for extradition shall be accompanied by a duly certified translation thereof into the language of the requested State.
Article XII (1) In case of urgency, either Contracting State may request the provisional arrest of any accused or convicted person. Application for provisional arrest shall be made through the diplomatic channel or directly between the United States Department of Justice and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs in Sweden, in which case the facilities of Interpol may be used.
(2) The application shall contain: a description of the person sought; the location of that person, if known; a brief statement of the facts of the case including, if possible, the time and location of the offense; a statement of the existence of a warrant or decision of arrest or a judgment of conviction against that person, as referred to in Article XI; and a statement that a request for extradition of the person sought will follow.
(3) On receipt of such an application, the requested State shall take the appropriate steps to secure the arrest of the person sought. The requesting State shall be promptly notified of the result of its application.
(4) Provisional arrest shall be terminated if, within a period of 40 days after the apprehension of the person sought, the Executive Authority of the requested State has not received the formal request for extradition and the supporting documents required by Article XI.
(5) The termination of provisional arrest pursuant to paragraph (4) of this Article shall not prejudice the extradition of the person sought if the extradition request and the supporting [*11] documents mentioned in Article XI are delivered at a later date.
Article XIII (1) The requested State shall provide review of documentation in support of an extradition request for its legal sufficiency prior to presentation to the judicial authorities and shall provide for representation of the interests of the requesting State before the competent authorities of the requested State.
(2) Expenses related to the translation of documents and to the transportation of the person sought shall be paid by the requesting State. No pecuniary claim, arising out of the arrest, detention, examination and surrender of persons sought under the terms of this Convention or arising out of the representation of the interests of the requesting State before the competent authorities of the requested State, shall be made by the requested State against the requesting State.
This supplementary Convention shall apply to offenses encompassed by Article II committed before as well as after its entry into force.
Article XVI of the Convention of October 24, 1961, shall also apply to the entry into force and the termination of this supplementary Convention. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the respective plenipotentiaries have signed this supplementary Convention and have affixed hereunto their seals.
DONE at Stockholm in duplicate, in the English and Swedish languages, both versions being equally authentic, this March 14 1983.
December 12, 2004, Date-Signed
February 1, 2010, Date-In-Force
Douglas McNabb and other members of the firm practice and write extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN List Removal.
The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at one of the offices listed above.