A Mexican man has been returned to southwest Ohio to face charges that he kidnapped and raped a 9-year-old girl in 2005, in a case that sparked unrest in a Hamilton neighborhood.
Alfredo Lopez Cruz was being held Wednesday without bond in Butler County. No attorney was listed for him.
Lopez Cruz disappeared soon after the girl told family members she had been assaulted. The home where he was believed to have been staying was vandalized and set on fire.
Federal officials said in March he had been taken into custody in Mexico after a joint effort by Mexican and U.S. authorities to find him, and that extradition proceedings would begin.
The 31-year-old man is charged in Ohio with four counts of rape and one count of kidnapping.
This article was published by the Houston Chronicle on September 28, 2011.
To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.
Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.
The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at one of the offices listed above.