Officials Continue to Push for Extradition of Murder Suspect

Federal officials have had all the information they need for a year to begin the extradition process in a Weslaco murder case, according to U.S. Congressman Ruben Hinojosa’s office.

Fourteen-year-old Robert Castro Jr. was shot to death in August 2008. Castro’s father had confronted some men who had stolen their truck. A stray bullet killed the teen as the men drove away.

Since then, Manuel Enrique Garcia has been sentenced to 18 years in prison for his part in Castro’s murder, but the alleged gunman, Jose Antonio Sanchez Zapata, remains free in Mexico.

A few months back, CHANNEL 5 NEWS started working with Castro’s family and Hinojosa’s office to get the extradition process moving forward that could bring Zapata back to the Valley to stand trial in the case.

Salomon Torres, a spokesman for the congressman, says they finally received a copy of the full incident report on the crime Wednesday. They had first requested it from Weslaco police back in August.

Torres says they have also now met with Hidalgo County District Attorney Rene Guerra. Torres says Guerra sent officials in Washington everything they would need to begin the extradition process about a year ago.

He says now the congressman will send the U.S. State and Justice departments a letter asking where the extradition process stands. Torres says they expect now to get a formal response within about 45 days.

This article was written by Kirk Chaisson and published by KRGV News on October 14, 2011.

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

Comments are closed.