Kim Dotcom Resigns Mega to Focus on Fighting Extradition to the United States and Other Projects

September 4, 2013

The New Zealand Herald on September 4, 2013 released the following:

“Flamboyant internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom has resigned as a director of his Mega data storage empire to focus on his efforts on fighting extradition to the United States and other projects.

Dotcom resigned as a director of Mega on Aug 29, and was replaced by Hong Kong-based Bonnie Lam the same day, according to filings to the Companies Office.

Dotcom staged a full-scale global media launch for Mega last year to replace Megaupload, his previous venture which was shut down in a US-led operation that alleged the file-sharing firm and its owners had committed mass copyright infringement and money laundering of more than US$500 million. Tony Lentino and Mathias Ortmann are still on Mega’s board.

Mega chief executive Vikram Kumar told BusinessDesk in an emailed statement Dotcom resigned “to be able to focus on the extradition case, an upcoming music website, and to build a political party.”

Dotcom doesn’t hold any directorships in New Zealand, and has one direct shareholding in RSV Holdings, according to Companies Office filings. His wife, Mona, is a director of Mr KimDotcom Ltd and a director and shareholder in MD Corporate Trustee Ltd, the biggest shareholder in Mega.

Earlier this week Dotcom told followers on Twitter he planned to launch a political party in New Zealand, with the next election likely to be near the end of next year, and has previously signalled plans for web-based music service called Megabox.

Dotcom and his co-accused Finn Batato, Mathias Ortmann and Bram van der Kolk have taken their case to the Supreme Court, seeking access to evidence in the US Federal government’s case to extradite them, and are awaiting a decision.

The District and High Courts upheld their request for a trimmed down disclosure, though that was overturned in the Court of Appeal earlier this year.

Dotcom’s high profile arrest in January last year led to an overhaul of New Zealand’s external spy agency, the Government Communications Security Bureau, after the intelligence unit unlawfully intercepted his communications. At the time of the surveillance, the GCSB wasn’t allowed to spy on New Zealand residents and Dotcom had been granted residency.

The government has since tweaked the law governing the spy agency, allowing it to act on behalf of the domestic spy agency, the Security Intelligence Service, the police or the Defence Force.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States and New Zealand here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition Defense, OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal, International Criminal Court Defense, and US Seizure of Non-Resident, Foreign-Owned Assets. Because we have experience dealing with INTERPOL, our firm understands the inter-relationship that INTERPOL’s “Red Notice” brings to this equation.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

————————————————————–

International criminal defense questions, but want to be anonymous?

Free Skype Tel: +1.202.470.3427, OR

Free Skype call:

           Office Locations

Email:


“Dotcom’s NZ extradition hearing cancelled”

June 10, 2013

Herald Sun on June 10, 2013 released the following:

AAP

“THE hearing to decide if internet piracy accused Kim Dotcom will be extradited to the United States has been postponed from August until at least November, and may not be until April next year.

That means the extradition hearing could be held more than two years after Dotcom was arrested after the Hollywood-style police raid on his mansion north of Auckland.

A spokeswoman for North Shore District Court told AAP Dotcom’s August date had been vacated and was now scheduled to start on November 21.

A back-up date of April 14 has also been set aside if further delays develop.

The hearing – which has now been delayed several times – is expected to take several weeks.

Dotcom and his co-accused were arrested in January, 2012, and an extradition hearing was meant to be held the next month.

However, after it was revealed police botched the raid’s search warrant and New Zealand’s spy agency the GCSB illegally spied on Dotcom, a German who had become resident in New Zealand, the case has become mired in delays and court action over evidence and charges.

The US is trying to extradite Dotcom, Finn Batato, Bram van der Kolk and Mathias Ortmann over allegations their Megaupload website netted more than $US175 million ($A184 million) in criminal proceeds.

The US says it cost Hollywood’s copyright owners more than $US500 million by offering pirated copies of movies and television shows.

Megaupload was shut down after the raid but Dotcom has since launched a similar site called Mega, which doesn’t use US-based servers.

Dotcom denies the charges and says he is a political target for Hollywood.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States and New Zealand here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition Defense, OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal, International Criminal Court Defense, and US Seizure of Non-Resident, Foreign-Owned Assets. Because we have experience dealing with INTERPOL, our firm understands the inter-relationship that INTERPOL’s “Red Notice” brings to this equation.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

————————————————————–

International criminal defense questions, but want to be anonymous?

Free Skype Tel: +1.202.470.3427, OR

Free Skype call:

           Office Locations

Email:


NZ court increases Megaupload founder Dotcom’s living expenses, returns car

March 22, 2012

Total Telecom on March 22, 2012 released the following:

“By Lucy Craymer, Dow Jones Newswires

Extradition hearing for owners of file-sharing Website to take place in August.

The founder of the Megaupload.com website, Kim Dotcom, won’t be slumming it while he awaits a decision on extradition to the U.S. after he had his monthly allowance increased to NZ$60,000 (US$48,480) and had his Mercedes Benz G55 AMG returned to him.

New Zealand High Court Justice Judith Potter said in a decision released Thursday that Dotcom would be allowed NZ$60,000 a month from his frozen assets, which will include interest on NZ$10 million of government bonds he owns.

Her decision also allows Dotcom to have use of his G55 AMG off-road vehicle on condition he pay for registration, insurance and suitable garaging for the vehicle.

The vehicle is one of 21 confiscated when Dotcom was arrested in a raid in January. It has a top speed of 210 kilometers an hour, can go from 0 to 100 kilometers an hour in 5.5 seconds and retails new for around US$120,000.

Dotcom had all his assets seized when he was arrested in January alongside Megaupload Chief Marketing Officer Finn Batato, 38, Chief Technical Officer, Director and Co-Founder Mathias Ortmann, 40, both from Germany, and Dutch national Bram van der Kolk, 29.

Justice Potter also ordered that van der Kolk receive payments of NZ$9,166 a month to cover living expenses.

An interim order to take custody of the men’s assets in February has been extended through until April 4 “to enable the applicant (Dotcom) to obtain final instructions” on whether to go ahead with a challenge to the order, Justice Potter said.

The extradition hearing for the four men, all of whom have been granted bail, is expected to take place in August. U.S. authorities claim Megaupload Ltd., based in Hong Kong, and its collection of websites generated more than US$175 million in alleged criminal proceeds and caused more than half a billion dollars in harm to copyright owners.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States and New Zealand here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


Wrong Paperwork Used to Seize MegaUpload Property, Judge Says

March 21, 2012

PC World on March 18, 2012 released the following:

“By Jeremy Kirk, IDG-News-Service:Sydney-Bureau

An order granted to law enforcement allowing them to seize luxury cars and other personal effects from the estate of MegaUpload founder Kim Dotcom is invalid, a judge in New Zealand ruled on Friday.

A police commissioner applied for the wrong type of seizure order, requested by the U.S., which now is “null and void and has no legal effect,” Judge Judith Potter ruled.

The ruling means Dotcom has a chance to recover some of the items, which reportedly included a Rolls Royce and a pink Cadillac, seized during his January 20 arrest at his mansion outside Auckland. It was unclear on Monday the next step Dotcom would have to take to get his property returned, and his attorneys could not immediately be reached.

Dotcom, 38, faces extradition to the U.S. on various copyright infringement and money laundering charges relating to his website MegaUpload, a file-sharing and storage website, which was shutdown in January.

New Zealand police applied for a second order to seize more of Dotcom’s property and, after realizing the mistake, tried to include the property improperly seized under the first order, Potter wrote.

Dotcom’s attorneys argued that some or all of their client’s property should be released. But representatives acting for the U.S. said the subsequent seizure order, dated February 1, is sufficient for holding Dotcom’s property.

Extradition proceedings for Dotcom, who is free on bail but subject to electronic monitoring, are expected to begin in August.

The U.S. Department of Justice alleges MegaUpload collected US$175 million in criminal proceeds, rewarding users for uploading and sharing content without the permission of copyright holders.

Also charged are MegaUpload defendants Finn Batato, Julius Bencko, Sven Echternach, Mathias Ortmann, Andrus Nomm and Bram Van Der Kolk.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States and New Zealand here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.