Russia to seek Bout, Yaroshenko extradition from US

April 12, 2012

The Voice of Russia on April 12, 2012 released the following:

“Moscow will seek extradition of businessman Viktor Bout and pilot Konstatnin Yaroshenko from the US, Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told journalists in Washington, adding that he had discussed the issue with his US counterpart Hillary Clinton.

Mr. Lavrov said that Russia and the US are aware that such questions must be settled within the law.

Earlier this month a Federal District Court in Manhattan sentenced Bout to 25 years in prison after proclaiming him guilty of conspiring to kill Americans after trying to sell weapons to undercover American agents posing as members of a rebel group, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).

Russia condemned the verdict, calling it “baseless and biased”.

Konstatnin Yaroshenko neither committed any crime but was extradited from Africa to face drug smuggling charges and face a 20-year prison term.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


Venezuela Urges Extradition of Accused Terrorist Posada Carriles from US

October 4, 2011

On Monday, the Venezuelan Ministry of Public Affaire issued an additional request for the capture of known terrorist Luis Posada Carriles. While Venezuelan authorities are still waiting for the United States to act on a 2005 extradition request to try Carriles for his involvement in the 1976 downing of a commercial airliner, killing all 73 people on board, this week’s request comes alter Venezuelan prosecutors uncovered his role in, “acts of torture, violation of international laws, illegal detention and physical abuse of prisoners” during his time at the now defunct Directorate of Intelligence and Prevention Services (DISIP).

Posada Carriles, DISIP’s Chief of Operations during one of the most violent periods of anti-communist repression, currently resides in Miami, Florida.

The new charges against Posada Carriles are the result of ongoing investigations into crimes that occurred during the 1960’s, 70’s, and 80’s by so-called “democratic” governments that held power for 40 years. All close allies of Washington, the bi-party alliance of Democratic Action (AD) and Christian Democrats (COPEI) is said to have authored thousands of kidnappings, tortures, and disappearances of leftist activists in the decades preceding the electoral victory of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

POSADA’S TERROR REIGN

In a press release issued Monday, Venezuela’s Ministry of Public Affairs explained that investigators recently uncovered the case of two women – Brenda Hernandez Esquivel and Marlene del Valle Esquivel – who claim to have suffered “torture, abuse, and illegal detention” at the hands of “Commissioner Basilio”, the known alias of Luis Posada Carriles while at DISIP.

According to the two women, on June 3, 1973 a group of state security agents disguised as “employees of the electricity company” arrived at their home in Maracay, state of Aragua. The agents knocked at the door until Jose Sanchez Romero, a friend of the two women, unknowingly opened the door to hostile security forces sent by Posada Carriles to search the home for “subversive elements”.

After opening the door, Romero was shot and killed by the unidentified agents.

Fearing for their lives, the two women, three children, and three other men in the home – Luis Eduardo Cools, Francisco Hernandez Cruz and Jose Acosta Garcia – attempted to “turn themselves in peacefully” by waving a white bandana.

The DISIP forces responded by opening fire on the home.

After some time, the two women,three children and Jose Acosta Garcia walked out of the house with their hands in the air, at which time agents gunned down Acosta Garcia.

The women report that agents then threw the children on the floor and physically assaulted them before taking everyone to a clandestine detention center somewhere in the vicinity. Brenda, eight months pregnant at the time, was taken to a holding cell for common criminals while Marlene del Valle was held in a neighboring unit. The following day the women and children were released, at which point they returned to home and found the slain body of Luis Eduardo Cools.

A day later both women were again picked up by state security forces and formally taken to DISIP headquarters in Maracay for questioning. There they met Cuban-born terrorist Luis Posada Carriles, referred to by fellow officers as “Commissioner Basilio”. Noticing Brenda was pregnant, Posada Carriles is said to have told his officers, “the seed must be finished off”, authorizing his men to kick Hernandez repeatedly in the abdomen. After killing her unborn child, security forces made several unsuccessful attempts to drown and kill Brenda.

In the case of Marlene del Valle, Posada Carriles is said to have used a lit cigarette to burn her and her child (six months old at the time) in an attempt to extract information from del Valle on the whereabouts of “subversive elements”. After del Valle insisted she had no information, Carriles chocked the infant, used a revolver to simulate shooting both del Valle and the young child, and pretended to pull the trigger suggesting he would soon kill both.

The two women claim they were then transferred to DISIP headquarters in Caracas where they suffered further torture, abuse, and interrogations before being released.

During recent investigations into the illegal conduct of state agencies before the democratic revolution led by President Chavez, both women told public prosecutors that they had withheld this information until now for “fear of reprisals against themselves and their loved ones.”

In an interview this week with Ciudad CCS, Brenda Hernandez Esquivel said that she and Marlene del Valle, “hold no expectations” as to the possible extradition to Venezuela of Posada Carriles. However, she said, the Public Ministry’s request serves to call attention to“the type of murderer the (US) Empire protects”.

THE TERRORIST

Cuban-born terrorist Luis Posada Carriles (1928 – ) began his use of torture and violence as a member of Cuba’s security forces during the dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista (1952-1958). After Fidel Castro’s revolutionary army overthrew Batista on January 1, 1959, Carriles and others fled to the United States where they received direct support to try to prevent the revolutionary government from consolidating political, social, and economic reforms on the island.

From 1967 to 1974 Posada Carriles served as Chief of Operations at the Directorate of Intelligence and Prevention Services (DISIP), a shady security agency feared for its use of violent tactics in supposed “anti-communist” operations against progressive and leftist Venezuelans inspired by the Cuban Revolution.

In 1976, frustrated by Cuba’s increasingly successful social transformations, Posada Carriles and admitted terrorist Orlando Bosch (1926-2011) orchestrated the bombing of Cubana de Aviacion Flight 455. On October 6, the plane was blown up in midair, killing all 73 people on board.

A week later, Posada Carriles, Orlando Bosch, and two others were detained for their involvement in the bombing. In 1983, after eight years in prison, Carriles escaped and fled the country soon after.

After participating in a series of other international incidents, including a failed attempt to assassinate Fidel Castro in Panama, Carriles snuck into the United States in 2005 at which time the Venezuelan government formally requested his detention and extradition so that he finally stand trial for the 1976 bombing.

Instead of acting on the Venezuelan request, US authorities detained Carriles on immigration and perjury charges, ignoring his links to international terrorism. After a Texas court found him innocent of said charges, he was allowed to return home to Miami, Florida.

Last year Francisco Chavez Abarca, a Salvadorian terrorist responsible for a series of hotel bombings in Cuba during the 1990’s, was caught trying to enter Venezuela. Abarca admitted to having orders to disrupt the country’s National Assembly elections and that Luis Posada Carriles was behind the operation. Apart from “provoking riots” and “political assassination” to disrupt elections, Abarca said plans had been developed to bomb oil tankers traveling between Venezuela and Cuba.

This article was written by Correo del Orinoco and published by the Venezuela Analysis on September 30, 2011.

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

Bookmark and Share


Extradition Treaty Law and Procedure – Part 25

July 14, 2011

Effect of Delay in Removal from the United States

There is a two-“calendar”-month time period within which an individual, detained and awaiting extradition, is to be removed from the United States. If such removal does not timely occur, the extraditee may, upon application to any court, request discharge from custody. If reasonable notice of the extraditee’s intent to make such an application is given to the Secretary of State and such notice is proven up in the court, the judge has discretion to release the extraditee unless the government can show sufficient cause why the extraditee should not be released. The decision to release the extraditee does not bar extradition proceedings from commencing once again.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the firm practice and write extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN List Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

Bookmark and Share


Major Adam Benoit Arrested by the US Marshals on a Provisional Arrest Warrant Seeking His Extradition From the United States to Costa Rica

July 7, 2011

KPLC-TV on July 6, 2011 released the following:

“International criminal arrested in Lake Charles

Posted By Kristian Claus

The following is a news release from: The US Marshals, Western District of Louisiana

LAKE CHARLES, La. — Thirty-seven-year-old Major Adam Benoit was arrested by members of the US Marshals Violent Offender Task Force with critical assistance from the Louisiana State Police, Intelligence Division at a Lake Charles area Casino at about 12:45 a.m. Saturday.

Benoit was arrested on a provisional arrest warrant seeking his extradition from the United States to Costa Rica. The warrant was signed in the Western District of Louisiana on charges stemming from a June 2, 2010, armed robbery that allegedly occurred in Heredia, Costa Rica.

The charges in Costa Rica are referred to as, “Grave Theft with Violence on People.” Allegedly, Benoit and an associate robbed a taxi cab driver with a knife.

At the direction of the Attorney General and through agreement with the Department of Justice, the US Marshals Service is the primary agency responsible for investigating foreign fugitive cases; cases involving fugitives in the United States who are sought by other countries.

United States Attorney Stephanie Finley stated, “This arrest reflects the hard work of the Marshals Service of the Western District of Louisiana and the District’s Violent Offender Task Force.

The Marshals Service is on the front line every day in our fight against crime. They play a vital role in keeping our communities safe.

The apprehension of Major Benoit should send a message to anyone who is actively avoiding arrest or has an outstanding warrant, in this country or from a foreign country, that the Marshals Service will find you and bring you to justice.”

The Western District of Louisiana’s Violent Offender Task Force (VOTF) in Lafayette and Lake Charles is a team comprised of full-time law enforcement officers from the Lafayette City Marshals, Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office, Lafayette Police Department, St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office, St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office, Lake Charles Police Department, Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office, and Louisiana Probation and Parole.

Further, VOTF calls upon part-time TFO’s throughout its coverage area. In 2010 VOTF in Lafayette and Lake Charles closed approximately 600 Warrants, most of which were violent felony offenses.

US Marshals Task Forces throughout the United States arrested more than 82,000 state and local fugitives and over 36,000 federal fugitives.”

US Marshals Wanted Poster for Major Adam Benoit.

Costa Rica Extradition Treaty with the United States.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN List Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

Bookmark and Share