“Tunisian Nizar Trabelsi extradited to US on terror charges”

October 3, 2013

BBC on October 3, 2013 released the following:

A Tunisian man jailed in Belgium in 2003 for planning to attack a Nato air base has been extradited to the US to face further charges.

Nizar Trabelsi faces several charges linked to the same plot including conspiring to kill Americans abroad, a US indictment shows.

Trabelsi, who used to play professional football in Germany, pleaded not guilty at a court in Washington DC.

The indictment says Trabelsi met al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden in 2001.

Trabelsi, now 43, was arrested in Belgium two days after the 11 September 2001 attacks on the US.

In 2003 he was convicted by a Belgian court of plotting to blow himself up at the Kleine Brogel base, which housed US soldiers.

He was imprisoned in Belgium until his extradition.

He now faces charges in the US of conspiring to kill Americans abroad, conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction and supporting a foreign terrorist organisation.

If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

‘Trained for jihad’

Trabelsi’s extradition was requested by Washington in November 2008.

He had been indicted two years earlier by a grand jury in the US District Court in Washington DC.

According to the indictment, Trabelsi had prepared to travel to Afghanistan to train for jihad while living in Germany in 2000.

He met Bin Laden in Afghanistan in early 2001 and, at his direction, later spoke with al-Qaeda’s chief military planner Muhammed Atef, the indictment says.

Trabelsi had strongly resisted extradition to the US, fearing “inhumane” treatment.

His last appeal was rejected on 23 September by the Belgian Council of State, the country’s highest administrative court.

Justice Minister Annemie Turtelboom was quoted as saying by the Belga news agency that Brussels had received “assurances from US authorities” that he would be tried by a civil court rather than a military tribunal and would not be sentenced to death if convicted.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States and Belgium here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition Defense, OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal, International Criminal Court Defense, and US Seizure of Non-Resident, Foreign-Owned Assets. Because we have experience dealing with INTERPOL, our firm understands the inter-relationship that INTERPOL’s “Red Notice” brings to this equation.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

————————————————————–

International criminal defense questions, but want to be anonymous?

Free Skype Tel: +1.202.470.3427, OR

Free Skype call:

           Office Locations

Email:


U.S. Loses Bid to Limit Disclosure in Dotcom Extradition

August 20, 2012

Bloomberg Business Week on August 16, 2012 released the following:

By Joe Schneider

“The U.S. lost a bid to limit the amount of information it must turn over to Megaupload.com founder Kim Dotcom, accused of orchestrating the biggest copyright infringement in the country’s history, in his fight against extradition from New Zealand.

New Zealand High Court Justice Helen Winkelmann today rejected a U.S. request to review a district court judge’s order to turn over evidence relating to Dotcom’s indictment, including all records obtained in connection with covert operations undertaken by agents involved in the investigation.

“The NZ High Court ruling in @KimDotcom case citing Bill of Rights protects Kim’s rights and the rights of all New Zealand residents,” Ira Rothken, a lawyer for Dotcom, wrote on Twitter following the ruling.

Dotcom, 38, was indicted in what U.S. prosecutors dubbed a “Mega Conspiracy,” accusing his file-sharing website of generating more than $175 million in criminal proceeds from the exchange of pirated film, music, book and software files. He faces as long as 20 years in prison for each of the racketeering and money-laundering charges in the indictment, with the U.S. seeking his extradition for a trial in Virginia.

The amount of documentation ordered to be turned over to Dotcom was unprecedented in the country or anywhere else for extradition cases, the U.S. had said.

“Disclosure in relation to extradition cases is extremely limited,” prosecutors had said, according to a summary of the arguments written by Winkelmann.

Extradition hearings are “essentially criminal in character” and the accused must be assured a fair hearing, according to New Zealand’s Bill of Rights, Winkelmann wrote.

“The more significant the rights affected, the more stringent the procedural rules designed to maintain the fairness of the process are likely to be,” the judge wrote.

The case is between United States of America and Kim Dotcom. Civ 2012-404-3026. High Court of New Zealand (Auckland).”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States and New Zealand here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition Defense, OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal, International Criminal Court Defense, and US Seizure of Non-Resident, Foreign-Owned Assets. Because we have experience dealing with INTERPOL, our firm understands the inter-relationship that INTERPOL’s “Red Notice” brings to this equation.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

————————————————————–

International criminal defense questions, but want to be anonymous?

Free Skype Tel: +1.202.470.3427, OR

Free Skype call:

           Office Locations

Email:


Guatemala court approved extradition of ex-president to US

March 29, 2012

Jurist.org on March 19, 2012 released the following:

“On March 19, 2010, a Guatemalan criminal court ruled that Alfonso Portillo, the former Guatemalan president who served from 2000 to 2004, could be extradited to the US to face money laundering charges. Portillo was indicted for his role in a plot which embezzled $15.8 million from the country’s Ministry of Defense. Portillio had been arrested earlier in the year for a warrant issued by Guatemala based on the US indictment. In October 2008, Portillo was extradited back to his home country from Mexico, where he had fled to avoid charges after his term and executive immunity, came to an end. In November 2011 the current president of Guatemala, Alvaro Colom, announced that he will allow the former leader to be extradited to the US after his criminal trial by a Guatemalan court found him not guilty for insufficient evidence.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States and Guatemala here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


FBI Seeks Extradition of Alleged Internet ‘Pirate’

January 20, 2012
Megaupload Kim Dotcom
Alleged Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom. Photo: Reuters

The Sydney Morning Herald on January 21, 2012 released the following:

“Kirsty Johnston

AN INTERNET multimillionaire accused of online piracy who allegedly headed up the global file-sharing website Megaupload.com from his luxury mansion north of Auckland faces extradition to the US after he was arrested yesterday by armed police at the request of US officials.

The FBI yesterday shut down Megaupload.com, one of the world’s most popular file-sharing websites, after filing an indictment in a US court earlier this month alleging its founder, Kim Dotcom, 37, (also known as Kim Schmitz) and six others, dubbed the ”Mega Conspiracy”, engaged in racketeering, copyright infringement and money laundering.

Schmitz, a former computer hacker, and six others were arrested on five charges laid in an indictment by a US grand jury in the state of Virginia.

The US Justice Department and the FBI who led the crackdown said Megaupload.com and other related sites generated more than $US175 million ($A168 million) in criminal proceeds and caused copyright holders more than $US500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content.

Megaupload is based in Hong Kong, but some of the alleged pirated content was hosted in the US on leased servers in Ashburn, Virginia, which gave US authorities jurisdiction, the indictment said.

Megaupload has boasted of having more than 150 million registered users and 50 million daily visitors, according to the FBI indictment. At one point, it was estimated to be the 13th most frequently visited website on the internet.

Schmitz founded the Hong Kong-based Megaupload website in 2005, which distributed a myriad of copyrighted works including movies, television programs, music, software and books. Megaupload also offered financial incentives for users to upload popular content and drive web traffic to the site.

Schmitz made $US42 million from Megaupload and other associated websites in 2010, according to the FBI’s indictment.

Despite opposition to the site’s operations from record labels and other copyright holders, many celebrities and artists backed its work – with chart-toppers Kanye West, Will.i.am and P. Diddy starring in a support video last year.

The US indictment paints a picture of a sprawling multinational operation, with more than 20 search warrants executed in nine countries, including New Zealand and the US.

When he appeared in Auckland’s North Shore District Court yesterday, Schmitz, a flamboyant German computer hacker who has past convictions from his home country, said he ”had nothing to hide” when appearing alongside three of his co-accused. ”We don’t mind if there’s press coverage if people want to photograph us, let them,” he said, overriding his lawyer, Auckland QC Paul Davison.

Detective Inspector Grant Wormald said it was ”likely” the men had also breached New Zealand copyright laws, although police had no intention of laying charges in the country.

The men face copyright infringement charges in the US which carry sentences of up to 20 years.

Schmitz is no stranger to being on the wrong side of the law, with a list of convictions including insider trading, credit card fraud, hacking and embezzlement. Schmitz also holds Finnish citizenship, and has Hong Kong and New Zealand residency.

Schmitz was granted New Zealand residency, reportedly after investing $NZ10 million ($A8 million) in government bonds and making a generous donation to the Christchurch earthquake fund.

Possessions taken from his $30 million mansion yesterday provided a hint of the extravagant lifestyles of the accused men.

More than 20 luxury cars worth a combined $6 million were taken from the site, including a 2008 Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe, with the licence plate ”GOD”. Others including Mercedes Benzes, a Maserati and a Harley Davison motorbike.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
International Extradition Lawyers Videos:

International Extradition – When the FBI Seeks Extradition

International Extradition – Wire Transfer – Email – Telephone Call

————————————————————–

We previously discussed the extradition treaty between the United States and New Zealand here.

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.